The Camelot Timeline
Camelot Community Care was founded in 1999, but our history goes back much further. Prior to 1999, the company operated as Camelot Care Centers under a different corporate structure and leadership. When telling the history of Camelot, the timeline of both companies is combined. For over 50 years, Camelot has been providing quality services to children and families as we look to achieve our mission of helping children realize their full potential.
1973 – 1999
Camelot Care Centers was founded by Dr. James Spicer providing residential treatment services in Illinois and later expanding to Tennessee and Florida. The company was named Camelot as a tribute to the possibility of human achievement. After 25 years of building Camelot Care Centers to become a quality national provider, Dr. Spicer transitioned into retirement, later selling the company to a new ownership group based in Nashville, Tennessee.
To better meet the needs of the communities we serve, Camelot Community Care is formed as a non-profit organization in the State of Florida and assumes the Florida programs formerly provided by Camelot Care Centers. Subsequent to assuming Camelot Care Centers' operations in Florida, Camelot Community Care took over services in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio from Camelot Care Centers.
After just one 1 year of operations, Camelot Community Care achieves 4.2 million in total funding.
Camelot's Board of Directors makes the strategic decision to become a leader in Florida's new child welfare community based care initiative.
Camelot Community Care is awarded a contract to be the lead agency for child welfare services in Charlotte, Lee, Hendry, Glades and Collier Counties, Florida. This contract was worth $18,000,000, and is the largest contract in the company's history.
Camelot Community Care expands its child welfare programs by being awarded case management contracts in three areas of Florida; Hillsborough County, Marion County and the Florida Panhandle.
- Camelot's commitment to quality and excellence is recognized through becoming accredited by The Council on Accreditation (C.O.A.)
- Camelot's Hillsborough County adoption program finalized over 300 adoptions. The highest amount ever recorded in the county.
- Camelot Community Care begins providing foster care services in Texas.
- Camelot Community Care begins providing Juvenile Justice services after being awarded several contracts to provide behavioral health services in Juvenile Detention Centers throughout the Tampa Bay area.
- Camelot finalizes over 360 adoptions in Hillsborough County, Florida.
Camelot's Hillsborough County Adoptions program finalizes over 400 adoptions.
As part of an initiative to improve the financial condition of Camelot Community Care, the Board of Directors authorizes the sale of the company's assets in Illinois and Indiana. As a result of the sale, the company eliminates all long term debt and improves its cash position.
- Camelot Community Care is re-accredited by The Council on Accreditation.
- Camelot Community expands its child welfare programs into the Gainesville, Fl. region.
- Camelot Community Care opens its first programs in Jacksonville, Fl.
- Camelot Community Care opens its first Partial Hospitalization program in Cincinnati, Oh.
Camelot Community Care is re-accredited by the Council on Accreditation.
Camelot Community Care begins providing Juvenile Justice services in Virginia.
Camelot Community Care begins providing mental health services in the Juvenile Justice Circuits throughout Florida.
- Camelot Community Care begins providing medical services in the Juvenile Justice Circuits throughout Florida.
- Camelot Community Care begins providing Functional Family Therapy in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco Counties.
2023 - Celebrating 50 Years!
- Camelot Community Care celebrates over 50 years of bringing families together for a bright future.
- Camelot Community Care continues to serve over 9,000 children and families every day with our highly committed and dedicated staff of over 900 professionals who serve as leaders in their field and advocate for the improvement of services to children in our communities.
- Camelot Community Care aspires to continue making a difference in the lives of the children and families we serve by providing the resources needed to thrive.